Wednesday, October 2, 2024

#IWSG and #WEP Spooky Time #ghost #stories #Horror Horrorfest 2024


Shout-out to Alex and the awesome co-hosts for today: Nancy Gideon, Jennifer Lane, Jacqui Murray, and Natalie Aguirre!


October 2 question -


Ghost stories fit right in during this month. What's your favorite classic ghostly tale? Tell us about it and why it sends chills up your spine.

Classic ghost tales... classic... ummm.... 🤔
The Woman in White - as seen in the tv show Supernatural. A vengeful spirit who can cause pain and death, all while begging for help and being unaware she's not alive. I guess that sounds scary to me, enough for this prompt at least.

There's a better one I know, but to mention the word, especially in print, is forbidden. (Not that people outside of the culture don't use it. They do. Including a version in the show Supernatural. Season 1 Episode 2. Right there in the title of the episode is the word that should not be used, especially in print. Sorry, this isn't like "fear of a name only increases fear..." blah blah Harry Potter quote. No, it isn't like that. BUT ANYWAY)

Allow me to present links to some of my reviews of horror novels:


Here's a mini "lite horror" (more mystery/ myth) novella. https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/1015003





WEP
https://writeeditpublishnow.blogspot.com/2024/10/wep-halloween-flash-fiction-special.html

FEAR THEM
by J Lenni Dorner


Mother taps on the tallest, oldest tree in the forest. "Be careful, my child, for they will come for you. The time will never come when you can let down your guard. Our people have suffered for hundreds of years from this danger. Do you see this tree?"

I nod.

"The danger has existed longer than this tree has lived. Put your arms around it. Feel the years the tree has stood."

I hug the tree. The bark scratches the delicate skin on my young cheeks. My arms cannot wrap even halfway around the tree. "Why do they come for us?"

She frowns. "That question does not matter. You must focus on not being taken. Not only would you be separated from your family and home, but from yourself."

"From myself?" I rub a spot on the tree where the bark has been removed.

She pulls at my chin so I meet her stare. "The very essence of your being. All that you believe, all the knowledge your father and I have imparted, it would be taken. You would not know nature, and it would no longer know you. For that is their way. They do not share our connection to life. This is why we stay apart from them. To be taken by them is a horror beyond repair." 

The lesson was said before and would be taught again many times. 
Too bad I didn't listen well enough.
They came for me. And all that my parents warned proved to be true. Far worse than what they claimed. 

"Mother? Father? I have returned!" It took many years to find them again.

"We see you. But you cannot return beyond visits." Father hangs his head. The campfire illuminates the tears on Mother's face.

"I am myself. I know nature."

Mother tisks. "Nature does not know you as it once did. You are not who you were. The change is clear."

I still see myself. They see a changed being. I sit at the fire, staring at the flames.

"Show us that you are aware. Point out all that we see, the proof of your difference." Father motions his hand up and down, as if pointing out all of my variations.

I start at my feet and work my way up. By the time I've listed twenty differences, I stop. "They did separate me from myself."

Mother wipes her tears. "Awareness is the true horror. Some are spared knowing. I'm sorry you were not."

Father extinguishes the fire. "Soon the sun will rise. You will go. Perhaps, one day, you might return to us. I wish it could be as who you were. We cannot save you, nor turn you back."

I move to the river, wishing I could wash myself clean of the changes, though I know there is no river strong enough to clean what remains of me.  


FCA 477 words
Tag: Some changes cannot be undone.



Carved pumpkins with car warning lights image to scare adults


10 comments:

  1. I like that the story is so open to possible interpretations. Well written.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stories about The Woman in White always used to haunt me when I was younger. Now, I know to stay away from horror movies as much as I can to avoid the nightmares! Your story was such an excellent read. The fear of change and the consequences which come with are so relevant to everyday life, and I really enjoyed how you conveyed the message.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I know the story of the Woman in White.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not a fan of horror but thanks for the recommendations. Good story and it had a good theme.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ostracism from your tribe is a cruel punishment. Those "others" must know that to effect changes that cause someone to be shut off from his people. Good job. Glad you jumped into this WEP.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, I didn't know we shouldn't use that word. It's even used in Teen Wolf and Grimm... Huh. I'll have to remember to not name it in my writing... The Woman in White is a scary one indeed. And your story is awesome!

    Ronel visiting for IWSG day Adventures in Audio: Recording and Publishing Audiobooks

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi JLenni. Awesome two posts. There is so much we do not know, but I'm glad there are those who can reveal a truth to us.
    Your WEP story reminds me of our Stolen Generations, where Indigenous children were taken from their parents/tribes and grew up in whitefella camps. Some returned many years later. It lasted for 90 years. A real blight on our history.
    Thanks for jumping onboard the WEP train for our special challenge! Great to have you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your review of The Snowman was my favorite.
    A sad tale indeed, but truth for too many. Well told.
    The woman in white, I've seen done again and again. I did not see the Supernatural version.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Heartrending. And it will stay with me. Thank you. I think.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome! Please let me know how to find you to say hello back.
What is your favorite fiction genre to read?