Tuesday, September 5, 2023

Twelve Year Anniversary of the #IWSG


12 years of #IWSG
Silk, pearls, and peony flower - symbols for the 12 anniversary

Shout-out to Alex and the awesome co-hosts for today: 

Me! J Lenni Dorner  https://jlennidorner.blogspot.com

Sonia Dogra  https://soniadogra.com 

Pat Garcia  http://www.patgarciaandeverythingmustchange.com 

Sarah - The Faux Fountain Pen  http://thefauxfountainpen.blogspot.com  

Meka James  https://authormekajames.wordpress.com




September 6 question -


The IWSG celebrates 12 years today! When did you discover the IWSG, how do you connect, and how has it helped you?


I found the IWSG via Alex, thanks to the A to Z Challenge. The communities shared ties for a few years. I didn't really identify as "insecure" back then, so I didn't join at first. I really got into it when I took part in a contest.

IWSG in corn husk still on loom IWSG in corn husk IWSG in corn husk brighterIWSG in corn husk highlighted
cornSim @JLenniDorner


In 2017-- I made an IWSG logo by weaving corn husks on a makeshift loom. Ideally, I needed another element to keep the letters held in place. Weaving is not my strongest skill. (Yeah, I'm a Lenni-Lenape Native American, but I only studied weaving for about a year.) Despite this, it turned out that the IWSG really liked my hard work.
My spot on the list dropped down because, ha ha ha, I didn't realize the sign-up page refreshed with a new question every month. 🤦🏽‍♂️ Idiot. So I'd keep forgetting to post because I didn't plan the post ahead as I didn't know the prompt. (It is right there, on the sign-up page. OMG, I felt so dumb when I finally figured that out.)
My older posts are gone because the original blog host site I used shut down, and then I ditched my WordPress one. I have some images (as seen above) saved to Dropbox (and Flikr, plus there were many on PhotoBucket before they revoked my courtesy membership paid via another platform to which I was subscribed). I also made a Sim version of myself that year, so I've added it just to be fun.



Coming soon:

Darkness: The Werewolf on its virtual tour


Fantasy feature on Sept 7

A professional speaker and author, L. Diane Wolfe conducts seminars, offers book formatting, and author consultation. She’s the senior editor at Dancing Lemur Press, L.L.C. and contributes to the Insecure Writer’s Support Group.
http://www.spunkonastick.net - Spunk On A Stick
http://www.insecurewriterssupportgroup.com - Insecure Writer’s Support Group



A to Z Challenge Happening at the A to Z Challenge www.a-to-zchallenge.com
John is planning a post for Sept 8 about International Literacy Day. #LiteracyDay
"International Literacy Day will be celebrated worldwide under the theme, ‘Promoting literacy for a world in transition: Building the foundation for sustainable and peaceful societies’." - https://www.unesco.org/en/days/literacy


Operation Awesome Happening at OperationAwesome6.blogspot.com
There's a post about #ReadABookDay for you to check out. Especially if you know any debut authors.



Sharing the above Tweet would be appreciated!

33 comments:

  1. Hi! That weaving is wonderful, very creative actually. I went back to see it when I realized you'd used corn husk. Happy Anniversary to IWSG!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for co-hosting this month. I didn't join the IWSG right away either. I started out reading everyone's posts but continued my Monday-only posts for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very creative. Thanks for co-hosting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for co-hosting. Glad you found your way back to IWSG. The weaving is so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No worries - I still get people emailing me about the question for the month.
    I remember those images!
    Thanks for co-hosting today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy IWSG Day! Thanks for co-hosting this month. Glad you figured out how the posting works. It's good to have you here. I've enjoyed many of your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for co-hosting! I love this group of insecure writers!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness, I remember Photobucket!

    I'm looking forward to visiting tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for co-hosting this month! I LOVE the weaving. My mom tried to teach me but my patterns always ended up strangling. It was not a stress reliever.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have to say, I was intrigued by all the little issues you faced getting started. I'm a geeky person and constantly miss what confuses non-geeky sorts. You made good points! I plugged IWSG in as an upcoming post for the entire year so I wouldn't forget. That's the only way I'd remember.

    Thanks for hosting so we all have an opportunity to get to know you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad you were able to get connected and stay connected. Thanks for co-hosting this month!
    Mary at Play off the Page

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm going through some of that blog-changing turmoil right now. Glad you were able to deal with it and stay connected. Loved your weavings and your post. Thanks for co-hosting today.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The singer/songwriter of 'Dream Weaver' died recently and your corn husk weavings seem perfect in that context. Thanks for co-hosting. Btw, I didn't know about the list refresh either!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for hosting this month's blog hop! I agree with you, I was initially turned off by the word Insecure in the title. But in a roundabout way, I think it's a good thing. If I'm insecure about posting something that says I'm insecure, doesn't that become a self-fulfilling thing? Once I realized how silly that was, I got over it. :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's a creative way to do the group logo. Better than I could do!

    Thanks for co-hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  16. All the luck with your virtual tour, J Lenni. And thanks for co-hosting this month's question for IWSG.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your woven logo! I think I remember that contest lol
    Thanks for co-hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for co-hosting today, J! I loved your corn husk weaving. I think that I would like weaving, but I've never really tried it. Your Sim creation is really cool! Good luck with your virtual tour!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I LOVE your weaving logos! What a unique take on it. And trust me when I say your weaving is better than anything I've ever woven. It's not an easy craft! Thanks so much for co-hosting this month!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ugh. I totally didn't realize I had to re-log in with my Google Account. That Anonymous comment is mine. Sorry! - Jen

    ReplyDelete
  21. Well, I'm sure we met on IWSG (or maybe A to Z?) but whatever - that weaving is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  22. It took me a long time to find the monthly questions, too. Happy IWSG day!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for co-hosting today. It's nice to celebrate together. I also used to do A to Z, though I haven't in a few years. I wonder which one I found first? @samanthabwriter from
    Balancing Act

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for co-hosting, J. It's been nice getting to know you over the years. Happy Anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi, here is Pat Garcia. Sorry my Safari and the google explorer don't agree. I'm glad I can leave a comment. I'm glad that you didn't give up and finally got it altogether. I did some dumb things to until I finally caught on that this is a monthly blog. Thank you also for co-hosting. Shalom shalom

    ReplyDelete
  26. LOL - I remember figuring out the question was on the sign up page as well!! We've learned a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thank you for co-hosting, J! I did A to Z one year, and it was a lot of work.

    ReplyDelete
  28. That logo looks nice. Mustve required a lot of patience to weave all that. I know how it can be when you post in a new group or on a new platform. It can be confusing at first, so dont feel bad.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh yeah, the "can I take those husks?" 🤣 And I was like, "you want my trash? Ok..."
    Omg that was funny.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I appreciate the struggle of changing platforms and losing content. I too have been an on again off again participant over the years! www.heidiangell.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. Gosh, I thought macrame challenging. Weaving seems way out of my realm. I think it's interesting how many of us connected with A to Z AND Insecure Writer's Support Group. Thanks so much for co-hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Photobucket--now there's a blast from the past. Thanks for co-hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thanks for co-hosting this month! I learned about the IWSG through a former member, Quanie Miller in 2014. I didn’t join the IWSG until a year later.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome! Please let me know how to find you to say hello back.
What is your favorite fiction genre to read?