Monday, April 19, 2021

#atozchallenge P is for Jemima Pett, Pink Lion, Parable, Plantgirl, Princess, and Priorities

#AtoZChallenge 2021 April Blogging from A to Z Challenge letter P


An alphabet of J's favorite blogs


P is for http://jemimapett.com/blog/
I love THIS blog because:
  • Jemima has a great collection of publications.
  • Book reviews!  
  • She's such a fun blogger.
  • This L post from this year's challenge -- I've guested posted on more than a few blogs over the years. But, partly because of the comments, this has become my favorite interview of all time.      

New book!


#atozchallenge Usborne books for Children


“Pink Lion” is the story of Arnold, the pink lion, who lives with his flamingo family, until he learns he is not acting how a lion is ‘supposed to”. This story is a great conversation starter for topics like bullying, belonging, self-double, families, adoption, acceptance, and courage. This book is great for ages 3+!




USA flag "Shipping only available to USA and  military bases from the provided Usborne link." - Kathryn Mowers (Consultant for the Dorner family)



J's TBR pile #atozchallenge


P is for these books on my TBR:

  • Parable of the Sower by Octavia E. Butler
    • A sci-fi diverse best-seller
    • struggles with hyperempathy
  • Plantgirl by M. Pax 
    • I like this author
    • It's free and 5 pages long
  • Princess Bachelorette: An Exclusive Selection of Princess Bachelorette stories by various authors
    • YA Fairytales
    • Won a copy from YASH





"Happiness comes from within. It's presented in fleeting moments; it's found when you feel at peace with the decision you've made." 
"I chose travel over stuff." -- Plunge: One Woman's Pursuit of a Life Less Ordinary by Liesbet Collaert.

(Check out my #atozchallenge #BookReview on Operation Awesome for Plunge: One Woman's Pursuit of a Life Less Ordinary by @LiesbetCollaert)

P for Priorities!
"How do you find the time to keep up with so much blogging and writing?!"
Today I'll answer that question from my theme reveal survey. https://jlennidorner.blogspot.com/2021/03/2021-atozchallenge-theme-survey-results.html

We are all gifted the same 24-hour time period each day. "Finding" time is really about picking your priorities and values, it's about making choices. Sometimes it feels like life isn't giving us a choice, but thrusting challenges upon us. 

"I have to take care of my children! That's why I don't have time." 
Actually, you prioritized taking care of your children. Mind you, I agree with that choice and feel it should be a priority. But do you have to do it? There are people who don't. There are people who abandon children. There are people who work so many hours a day that their children barely recognize them. And there are children who are shipped off to boarding schools and sleep-away summer camps, rarely ever being home with their parents. And some of us don't have offspring, as is my case. (Though my spouse and I were raising our niece unexpectedly last year, but that's irrelevant.) These scenarios all exist in this world. 

I just finished reading Plunge, the book I've quoted. Do you know how Liesbet afforded to travel? Priorities and choices. She didn't have a house or a car to pay for, doesn't have a closet full of expensive clothing and shoes, isn't buying piles of artwork to keep up with the "Joneses." For some people, not being homeless is a priority. It wasn't for her, and thus she used that money to travel. 

So how do I "find time"? For one thing, I know I'm not going to get a lot of writing in April. Or any, really. And I spend a chunk of March getting ready for April. Then May rolls around and I'm basically exhausted. But that's the month I usually plan a few days away from civilization. In June, I get ready to do Camp NaNoWriMo, which I usually participate in for July. I try to keep August for editing and aim to have a book ready to publish by September. (This doesn't always work out, but it's the plan.) Then in October I get ready for NaNoWriMo and write my fingers to the bone in November. December is crazy busy, so not as much gets done. Then it's January and February, where I try to wrap up projects so I can start over again. And I set aside four days a month, minimum, specifically for blogging-- mostly for visiting at least 50 blogs each month. I "find" time because doing all of this is my priority, it supports my goals, it's the way to achieve the life I want to live. 

Every day we're gifted another 24-hours. Another chance to decide what our priorities are. Pleasing ourselves, pleasing others, being lawful citizens, trying to fly under the radar of the rules, setting a good example and doing what's expected, going rogue and taking risks... 




Giveaway:


https://wn.nr/EvfEgH Win the Ultimate Literary Bundle from Storiarts! "Where style meets literature. Every Storiarts purchase helps kids worldwide learn to read, write, & create." And small-batch coffee in three genres-- Fantasy, Romance, and Gothic. 


WEP writing prompt Freedom Morning #flashfiction #WEPFF https://writeeditpublishnow.blogspot.com/2021/04/wep-2021-continues-artistic-inspiration.html
On the 21st, the A-Z letter is R. On the 22nd, it's S. Then, on the 23rd, it's T.
"Use the letter of the day, as well as whatever A-Z theme you've chosen, to inspire your WEP entry!"



QUESTIONS: 
  • Have you been to this favorite blog of mine?
  • Have you read any of these books?
  • What are the top five priorities in your life, and are you actively making choices to reflect them?
        

#AtoZChallenge 2021 badge
Please consider getting a shirt.


Thanks to:
https://unsplash.com/photos/lUaaKCUANVI , https://unsplash.com/photos/npxXWgQ33ZQ , https://unsplash.com/photos/eMP4sYPJ9x0

11 comments:

  1. I know Jemima well!
    How do you find time to write? You don't - you make time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do visit Pett's blog regularly. I have read other Butler books, but not that one. Top 5: In no specific order, my health, my children, my writing, my marriage...I'm not sure there is a fifth. Maybe I could split physical and mental health.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep. Get those priorities set up and then get going. Great P word!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wanted to read Plantgirl, and the Goodreads link says "free," but it's not. I don't use an eReader, so many it is to download that way.
    Priorities?
    My garden now that it needs a lot of time and watering to get going.
    My puppy, who needs a LOT of time and training to civilize him.
    My blogging, to keep up with the A to Z Challenge.
    Really, I don't think I have five. My kids are adults, so don't "need" my time or attention until they do, and then they are a priority of course. I need to make my health a priority. I love the excerpt from the WSJ you posted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I visit Jemima's blog often. She has many interesting posts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I have visited http://jemimapett.com/blog/ often and enjoy her posts.
    Also enjoy fairy tales so plan to check out Princess Bachelorette; and likely Plantgirl
    Five priorities: 1. Stay connected to family and friends; 2. Read and Review; 3. Write and Publish; 4. Stay healthy 5. Blog on a basis that resembles regular.
    https://gail-baugniet.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a topic I can totally relate to. :-)

    Thank you for the shout-out for Plunge and my lifestyle. Yes, choices and priorities make the world (my world) go round. I used to always say "I don't have time to read books." Like you said, we all have the same 24 hours a day to spend how we "need to." I will keep this blog post in mind next time I crave to read a book but "don't have time." :-) I'll need to prioritize book reading over blog reading and commenting, as this sucks a huge amount of time out of every day.

    My five priorities: my family (husband and dog), our health, a roof above our head, traveling, writing

    ReplyDelete
  8. I visit Jemima regularly. As for time... I don't have time to do things I don't want to do :-)

    Ronel visiting for the A-Z Challenge with an A-Z of Faerie: Paladin

    ReplyDelete
  9. Priorities they change from time to time

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aww, thank all of you for visiting my blog so often, I really appreciate it. And thank you, J, for saying such nice things about it (the cheque's in the post). ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your thoughts on priorities!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome! Please let me know how to find you to say hello back.
What is your favorite fiction genre to read?