Wednesday, April 3, 2024

Create Strong Settings #AtoZChallenge #IWSG Blogging History

#AtoZChallenge 2024 letter C Create strong settings


In the opening, we saw The Forest. In this next scene, we see the Valiant Tavern. The highlighted areas below show setting details that point out what the place basically looks like, especially as it will relate to the story.


@JLenniDorner setting

The portrait is our first clue that Monoghan was once famous and that he is much older than the audience might believe. 
The trash becomes important later.
We learn from the porch that this is a bit like a red carpet at an awards show. Judgment reigns supreme here, but Monoghan doesn't care. 
The door is so heavy and solid that it suggests this place may have been a stronghold at some point. The walls are stone, adding to that theory. Inside has hiding places, such as the rafters and corners. 

Hopefully, the five primary senses are involved: 
sight 👀 - The look is described, especially the dirty portraits.
smell 👃 - We can imagine how that trash might smell. (Moreso if you've been in allies with such dumpsters.🚮)
hearing 👂 - The first sounds are the judgemental porch patrons. Later, the door and the echo.
taste 👅 - He orders a mead 🍺 later in the scene. 
touch ☝ - The weight of the door is the clearest usage. Velvet on the stool also has a distinct feeling.

Is this the sort of place you'd want to go or read about?
A lot of fantasy stories include a tavern or similar place, especially near the start. 
A bit of intrigue, a little mystery, and perhaps danger make the place intriguing. 
Do you expect this type of place in a high-fantasy story?



#AtoZChallenge2024 J Lenni Dorner theme

Sign-up for the challenge! https://forms.gle/41PjgHFL4zwnM2Am7
#AtoZChallenge 2024
Please check out the April Blogging from A to Z Challenge
#AtoZChallenge a-to-zchallenge.com




Shout-out to Alex and the awesome co-hosts for today: Janet Alcorn, T. Powell Coltrin, Natalie Aguirre, and Pat Garcia!

April 3 question - How long have you been blogging? What do you like about it and how has it changed?

I started back in 2012 so I could join the #AtoZChallenge. The first blog was on a platform that is now defunct. The second platform shut down after some problems with coding. This Blogger blog is the third and current blogging platform for my blog. 

I enjoy sharing more details about what I'm writing, participating in blog hops, and connecting with fellow bloggers. The biggest change is the shrinking community. A to Z and the IWSG are the strongest groups of bloggers I know, and they are supportive of one another.
Have one of those, or both, brought you here today?

14 comments:

  1. I started blogging in 2011 when writers were supposed to have a blog. I later discovered the IWSG through other blogger friends. I enjoy blogging for the same reasons as you and am so grateful for this group.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I'm really sorry for your loss of a family member.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Only two groups left standing. The community has shrunk, but those remaining are still dedicated.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope this, your third blog, keeps going!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I started blogging in 2009. Things were so very different. I was a member of several contributor blogs (which are difficult to get going now) that were so much fun in addition to my regular blog.
    So very sorry for your loss ♥
    https://amomentwithmystee.blogspot.com/search/label/A%20to%20Z%20Challenge%202024?max-results=5

    ReplyDelete
  6. At the letter C with a few more to go! Here's to reaching Z and continuing to blog.
    https://cleemckenziebooks.substack.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would read about this tavern, but i wouldn't want to go there...I mean, they let cobwebs and dust build up behind the bar...not exactly a hygienic place for a drink and a meal. Idea-ist@GetLostInLit

    ReplyDelete
  8. I truly wish I could get organized to to A-to-Z again. My first time was so successful, and I'm hoping to turn the series into my next manuscript. Every year I start in January mapping out themes on a calendar, but then I just don't give it the time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not sure how I missed the A-Z challenge, but somehow it has managed to slip by me... D'oh! I think I may have been a bit too busy at work this year...

    ReplyDelete
  10. The IWSG has brought me here today, J Lenni. Part of me would love to participate in the A-Z, but it would put me over the edge. I really appreciate all the helpful, supportive, and friendly IWSG members. I enjoy connecting with everyone, and especially building relationships. Have a happy and creative April!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A to Z brought me here. I read and listen to Speculative Fiction and write non-fiction. This year my theme is Permission to Write: Prompts for Memoir. https://womenslegacyproject.com/category/a-to-z/permission-to-write/

    ReplyDelete
  12. I participated in the A-Z a couple of times, maybe three. I intend to do so each year and then forget. Thanks for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, a tavern or inn is definitely a must for high fantasy :-)

    Ronel visiting for C: My Languishing TBR: C
    Unsettling Changelings
    IWSG day Character Choices

    ReplyDelete
  14. I tried A-Z once in 2020. I came nowhere close to completing it, but I enjoyed my little bit of participation. Maybe I'll try again when I retire.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome! Please let me know how to find you to say hello back.
What is your favorite fiction genre to read?